Conditions of Entry - 2017 SAMDPR - 4 February 2017
- Pigeons to be rung with officially recognised 2016 rings. If these are not available, contact the organizers.
- To ensure an equal opportunity, two reserve pigeons may be sent with every entered pigeon.
- A team consists of three pigeons; one entered and two reserve pigeons.
- Entered is defined as a pigeon that the entry fee of US$1100 has been paid.
- Only entered pigeons compete for any prize money
- Once pigeons have been assigned to a team they cannot be transferred to another team.
You don’t lose - Lost Teams.
- Should the pigeon of your choice, entered into the race, be lost during loft orientation and training, your reserve pigeon will automatically be entered into the race at no extra cost.
- If all your pigeons in a paid team are lost while training with none of them having won any money or being basketed for the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race, you may have a free entry for the next South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race only. This ruling applies only to full teams of three pigeons.
- Free entries cannot be used to activate reserve pigeons.
- The annual registration fee is included in the entry fee.
Entry and method of payment
- An entry fee of US$1100.00 per entered pigeon and two reserves must be paid before shipment/transportation of pigeons.
- The completed Entry form is to be faxed or emailed to Air Sport Internationale SA to +41 22 700 23 49
- Should you require, pigeon rings can be supplied to you.
- Request your bank to transfer the funds, electronically, directly into Air Sport Internationale SA’s bank account.
Account Name: Air Sport Internationale SA
Bank: UBS SA, Geneva
IBAN: CH94 0024 0240 7525 6860 D
PO Box 2600
1211 Geneva 2
35 Rue des Noisette
Fax or email the proof of the bank transfer to Air Sport Internationale SA administration +41 22 700 23 49 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Reserve pigeons - the choice is yours
- You have the option of not sending reserve pigeons; this however will affect the “Lost Team” ruling.
- Should a paid reserve pigeon be lost prior to the race it will be replaced by another reserve pigeon if you have one, if not you will receive a credit of US$1000 for the following event refunded providing the reserve pigeon has not won any money.
- A reserve pigeon may be entered at any time by paying the US$1100 entry fee
- When a preferred pigeon is lost and does not return within two weeks the next available reserve pigeon replaces it. If this preferred pigeon subsequently returns, its status would be that of a reserve pigeon. If lost prior to a Hot Spot Car Race, the reserve pigeon will replace the lost pigeon immediately.
- Non-entered pigeons may, at the discretion of the organisers, be entered into the race by a third party. This process will commence approximately one week after the last Hot Spot Car Race.
Quarantine loft opens
- Pigeons will be received for placement in the quarantine station between 16 May 2016 and 8 July 2016. The loft complex will be closed during the quarantine period.
- No late shipments are permitted.
- Southern African fanciers may also send their pigeons at this stage, should they so wish. These pigeons will then be subject to quarantine.
- Quarantine is lifted on the 30 days after the last shipment is received. The lofts re-open and pigeons not requiring quarantine will be accepted until 31 August 2016.
General Note: Do not orientate your pigeons!
- Don’t believe that orientating your pigeons before sending them is the answer to winning the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race. We have established that trained pigeons, although totally orientated by us to the race lofts, when stressed try to get back to their loft of origin.
- All original pedigrees will be scanned and made available on the web site after liberation of the pigeons for the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race.
- Entrants will have the opportunity to edit strain and general pedigree information as well as upload a copy of the pedigree online via their accounts during the racing season.
- All pedigrees received before the fifth Hot Spot Car Race will be scanned and loaded onto the web site by the administration in time for the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race. Pedigrees received after this date will be uploaded in time for the first regional auction.
- Should you choose to vaccinate your pigeons, which is advisable, do so at least 10 days prior to shipping. All pigeons are vaccinated on arrival at the Quarantine lofts. If this then serves as a booster, so much the better for the pigeon.
Security and training: No “Fowl” Play - No “Dope”
- We will arrange for your pigeons to be transported to the race lofts where it will receive its own electronic tag.
- Past experience has shown that older pigeons travel better.
- The pigeons will be electronically tagged. The relevant details will be entered into a protected computer database.
- Covering the identity ring ensures that no single pigeon is advantaged over another and that all pigeons have an absolutely equal chance of success.
- International standards applicable to drug abuse are practised in the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race. Samples from winning and other pigeons may be collected under qualified supervision for testing by an internationally accredited laboratory. Only pure “Blue Blood„ can win the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race!
- Using the electronic timing system, the loft numbers are maintained via their electronic identity.
- Ongoing information about all aspects of the race will be made known via the press and Internet.
- All entrants will be informed whether their pigeons have completed the last Hot Spot Car Race.
- Race training will commence in October 2016, with the pigeons progressing to a distance of approximately 350km prior to the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race on the 4 February 2017.
- The services of Hellmann Worldwide Logistics (Pty) Limited have been contracted, however the shipments must be addressed to Blue Bar Management (Pty) Ltd. The company has extensive experience in the freighting of pigeons and will gladly assist you with getting your pigeon/s to South Africa and the lofts.
- The entry form and shipping details must be faxed to +41 22 700 23 49 on the day of shipment of your pigeons.
- The requirements of the Directorate of Animal Health Import-Export Control Department of Agriculture, Republic of South Africa, dictate that an original health certificate must accompany your consignment. By using the accompanying health certificate / import permit, or if required by your local veterinarian their certificate in English, which then must quote the import permit number, you may airfreight your pigeons to South Africa.
- Fax the official airfreight documents (before shipment leaves) to Hellmann Worldwide Logistics +27 86 554 2706 - to ensure prompt clearance upon arrival.
- Complete a commercial invoice for Customs purposes clearly stating “No Commercial Value” .
- The health certificate / import permit, commercial invoice and entry form must be sent with your pigeons to South Africa.
- Ensure consignment dates are coordinated with the Administration Office before shipping.
- South African entrants must fax their completed entry forms to +41 22 700 23 49 on the day their pigeons are sent. Ertjies Noppe must also be informed prior to any shipment on +27 11 928 7002 or +27 83 630 5247. If the pigeons are air freighted a copy of the flight details and entry form must also be faxed to Ertjies Noppe on +27 86 554 2706 beforehand.
Blue Bar Management (Pty) Ltd.
Care of OR Tambo International Airport (Johannesburg) International Contact Person for Shipments:
Telephone +27 11 928 7002
Mobile +27 83 630 5247
Fax +27 86 554 2706
- The race will cover a distance, dependant on circumstances, to provide a fair test of the pigeon’s ability to negotiate the journey back to the race lofts on the day of liberation from approximately 500km. The pigeons will be liberated as early as practical at the discretion of the organizers. The race will close at the discretion of the organizers.
- On basketing day, all pigeons going to the race will be electronically logged in public and verified by the Auditors, wing stamped and identity ring obscured.
- The electronic timing system will place the pigeons in order of their voluntary return to the loft and record times to a fraction of a second in the order determined by the electronic timing system.
Medals and Trophies
- Ten magnificent gold pendants containing 0.5 oz. of gold will be awarded to the top ten prize winners, that is the person who paid the entry fee, in the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race.
- The top ten positions will be awarded a trophy. Should a third party entry win a top ten position, the trophy will be given to the breeder of the pigeon.
Hot Spot Car Races
- Success on the big day requires that all the pigeons receive the correct preparation. This will include five longer distance training flights in the build up to the main race. (“Hot Spot Car Races”). All entered pigeons will compete in these Hot Spot Car Races; that is pigeons whose US$1100 entry fee has been paid.
- Reserve pigeons not entered will not be eligible to win any Hot Spot Car Race prize money or Hot Spot Car Race Averages.
- Hot Spot Car Race training flights pay 20 prizes consisting of a motor car followed by 19 prizes of US$1100 each to the first 20 entered pigeons home.
- In the event that a Hot Spot Car Race has to be postponed and cannot be rescheduled, prize money will be carried forward to the next Hot Spot Car Race.
Hot Spot Car Race Ace Pigeon
- All entered pigeons in the Hot Spot Car Race training flights compete for the title of Hot Spot Car Race Ace Pigeon.
- The Hot Spot Car Race Ace Pigeon is the entered pigeon that completes the combined distance of all the Hot Spot Car Race training flights in the shortest time.
- Pigeons compete in this competition from the time they become an entered pigeon.
- In the event of a tie after completion of the Hot Spot Car Races, the pigeon with the highest placing on the last Hot Spot Car Race training flight will be the Hot Spot Car Race Ace Pigeon, winning US$5000.
Two Pigeon Challenge
- The minimum requirement for this competition is an entered pigeon and its entered reserve pigeon from the same team. In a case where both reserve pigeons have been entered by paying the US$1100 entry fee each, the best combination of any of the three pigeons would then compete in this competition.
- The best combined velocity of the competing teams on each of the five Hot Spot Car Races and South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race wins US$2000. Reserve pigeon rules apply to the Two Pigeon Challenge.
Three Pigeon Team Challenge
- All three pigeons in a team have to be entered to compete in this competition. That is an entered pigeon plus its two paid reserves.
- The best combined velocity of the pigeons in a team on each of the five Hot Spot Car Races as well as the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race wins US$3 000.
The Country Challenge
All paid pigeons into the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race can be entered into this competition at a non-refundable entry fee of $120 per pigeon up until liberation of the fifth Hot Spot Car Race; no entries will be accepted after this.
Pigeons will compete under the country flag for which they are flying in the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race. $10 of the entry fee will be retained by ASI for expenses and administration and the balance will be paid out as follows:
Hot Spot Car Races 1 to 4
Three prizes per Hot Spot Car Race of $125, $75 and $50 will be paid to the first three pigeons per country entered into the Country Challenge.
Fifth Hot Spot Car Race
$70 from every entry will be added to the starting prize money of $250 for the Country Challenge. All the prize money will be paid out to the first three Country Challenge entered pigeons in a ratio of 50%, 30% and 20%. The web site will have a constantly updated listing of these prizes as well as a list of which pigeons are competing for the prize money per country.
Country Challenge Main Race
Each country competing in the Country Challenge will be given $200 starting prize money and $40 from each Country Challenge entry fee goes to this "winner takes all" prize which will be awarded to the first Country Challenge pigeon per competing country in the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Racefor that country.
Five rounds - One Winner - US$25 000!
- This competition will take place over the last four Hot Spot Car Races and the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race.
- Only pigeons entered prior to and basketed for the first Hot Spot Car Race will be eligible.
- Should any Hot Spot Car Race be cancelled one of the training flights prior to the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race will be used to calculate the next round’s pigeons.
- Knocked Out pigeons still compete in all other competitions.
- Knock Out Round 1 - Hot Spot Car Race 2
65% of the entered pigeons returning from the Hot Spot Car Race will move on to the next round.
- Knock Out Round 2 - Hot Spot Car Race 3
55% of the above pigeons returning from the Hot Spot Car Race will move on to the next round.
- Knock Out Round 3 - Hot Spot Car Race 4
35% of the above pigeons returning from the Hot Spot Car Race will compete in the next round.
- Knock Out Round 4 - Hot Spot Car Race 5
20% of the above pigeons returning from the Hot Spot Car Race will compete in Knock Out Final.
- Knock Out Final Round - South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race
The first timed remaining Knock Out Pigeon will win US$25000.
Grand Average Ace
- All pigeons entered into the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race compete for the title of SAMDPR Grand Average Ace Pigeon, however only fully paid entered pigeons are in contention for any of the prize money.
- The SAMDPR Grand Average Ace Pigeon is the pigeon that completes the combined distance of all the training flights over approximately 50km and the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race in the shortest time.
- Pigeons that have not returned in race time on the final race will not be included in this competition
- In the event of a tie after completion of the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race, the pigeon with the highest placing in the final race will be the SAMDPR Grand Average Ace Pigeon.
- Prize money of US$10000, US$5000 and US$2500 will be paid to the top three pigeons respectively.
The Team - “Only the best”
A dedicated team of trainers, veterinarians and loft helpers, will ensure that all pigeons receive the best possible care for the duration of their training and that they are in top condition for the race. They have already established a remarkable record with pigeons on the day despite the toughest conditions; testimony of the quality of the pigeons and the care that they receive.
- All pigeons that complete the race may be auctioned at the discretion of the organizers.
- Pigeons placed in the top 100 positions of the official result may be auctioned on the day after the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race.
- Proceeds from the Auction, providing they are significant in relation to transfer, less auction costs, will be distributed equally to the original owner, i.e. the person who registered the pigeon, and the Race Administration.
- Pigeons not auctioned on the day after the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race may be auctioned at subsequent regional auctions or online via a pigeon auction web site. A listing of these venues will be published on the web site.
- The terms and conditions of the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race read with the official registration/entry form contain the entire agreement between parties and neither party shall be bound by any representations, warranties, undertakings, promises or the like which are not recorded herein. The payment of prize monies is at the sole discretion of Air Sport Internationale SA. Pigeons accepted into the lofts will remain under the control of Air Sport Internationale SA and will be disposed of as per conditions of entry and at the discretion of the organizers. No alteration, variation or cancellation by agreement of, addition or amendment to, or deletion from this agreement shall be of any force or effect unless in writing and signed by or on behalf of the parties.
- This agreement and its interpretation shall be subject to the laws of South Africa. Furthermore the English version of the conditions of entry as published on the South African Million Dollar Pigeon Race web site is recognised as the official version.